DIY Appliqued St. Patrick's Day Tee

Tuesday, February 21, 2012
I meant to get this posted a couple of weeks ago but I am swamped and time got away from me. So sorry about that. This little applique is *super* easy. Perfectly simple and cute for a St. Patrick's Day tee (or onesie, tank, etc.)

(If you are sick to death of my applique tutorials, check back next week. I'm working on the cutest decorations for a birthday party and I'll be sharing the tutorial soon.)


Materials
  • Blank one piece, t-shirt, tank, etc. (pre-washed for shrinkage)
  • Felt or fabric for appliques - if you are using felt, I strongly recommend eco-fi felt by Kunin. It's made from recycled bottles and holds up really well in the wash.
  • Heat n Bond or other fusible webbing
  • Scissors
  • Embroidery floss and needle (or you could sew by machine)
  •  Shamrock template - free one for personal use here 


Getting Started 
 (Since I use Heat n Bond, my instructions will follow Heat n Bond's instructions. If you are using a different fusible web, simply change out my instructions with the instructions on the package.)

Print out your template and place it underneath your fusible webbing. Trace the design onto your fusible webbing. If you are going to put a heart on your tee, just free hand one onto your fusible webbing (don't draw it on the shamrock - draw it next to it).


Next you'll want to iron your fusible webbing onto your felt or fabric. For Heat n Bond, set it on the "wool" setting (NO STEAM). Iron the design onto the felt or fabric for about 3 or so seconds so it looks like this: 


Cut out your appliques. Take your appliques and peel off the wax paper layer from the back. Place the shamrock exactly where you want it on the t-shirt with the glossy/fusible webbing side face down. Iron the applique on to the t-shirt pressing for about 10 seconds. I like to use a scrap piece of fabric over the applique when I press it just to be safe. Again be sure to use the wool setting with no steam. Check to be sure that the applique is firmly adhered to the shirt.


Take the heart and place it where you want on the shamrock. Iron it using the same steps above.


Now that your love is attached to the t-shirt, you're ready to start the applique process. You can do this with a machine or by hand. To stitch by hand, cut about 3-4 feet of your embroidery thread. Your skein of thread will have six strands. Separate two of the strands from the piece you've cut and thread them through your needle.

For this t-shirt, I used a straight stitch. It's a basic stitch and great for a beginner. You basically bring the needle up through the t-shirt and back down making straight little stitches about 2 cm in from the edge of your applique. 
Sew the shamrock first and then follow up with the heart. I'll admit that I didn't have a chance to stitch the heart - I ran out of white embroidery floss!! It's on the list for my next supply run.
If you get stuck, comment here or message me at finleyandoliver@gmail.com. And don't forget to check back next week for a new tutorial (that has nothing to do with applique!). ;)

4 comments:

Allison Waken said...

I love this! I need to make one of these for my little guy.

Grace said...

Thanks, Allison. It is super easy to make!

Oh Fiddlesticks! said...

Super cute...think I might make these for my gals and add a hot pink heart and make the shamrock a chartreuse green! Thanks again for sharing your talent.
Mwah!
M
p.s I owe you an email...I've been dealing with fam in town, Magnolia had RSV, and throwing P's 5th birthday. Craziness I tell ya!

Grace said...

Love the color idea, M!

I'm so sorry to hear about Magnolia. I hope she's on the mend. Can't wait to hear all about the party!! I hope it will be on the blog. xo

Post a Comment