DIY Puffy Cloud Mobile

Tuesday, February 28, 2012
A couple of weeks ago, my friend Laura asked me if I could make something similar to the adorable clouds featured at a party by Little Pear. Laura's daughter loves Peppa Pig so Laura threw her a Peppa Pig/Muddy Puddles themed party and the clouds fit in perfectly.



Not only is Laura a crazy talented photographer, but she puts together the most amazing parties for her kiddos that I have ever seen. She gets all the details perfect and the kids always have a blast. This party was no exception. I mean, look at that dessert setup! So flipping cute!


{Party photos and amazing party styling via Laura Winslow Photography}

 Aside from super cute party decor, I think these cloud mobiles would look adorable in a child's room. I hung this up in Oliver's room to take a picture and he was so bummed when I had to take it down.


Anyhow, these were pretty easy to make so of course I had to document the process for you all. 

What you'll need:
  • Fabric for clouds and hearts - I used eco-fi felt for the cloud and flannel for the hearts
  • Fiber Fill
  • Monofilament (fishing line)
  • Sewing Machine
  • Needle and thread
  • Pattern for cloud (I taped 4 pieces of paper together and drew a cloud - super easy)
  • Pattern for heart (draw a heart or grab one from the internet)
 
Getting Started:
Tape 4 pieces of paper together and draw a cloud on it. Cut it out. I made 3 clouds for Laura so I made 2 cloud patterns in slightly different sizes. Cut your pattern out.


Fold your fabric or felt in half. Pin the cloud pattern on and cut it out.


Draw your heart or print one off from the internet. Cut it out and trace it on the fabric you'll be using for your hearts (make sure to fold your fabric in half first so you'll have 2 sides for each heart). I made 3 hearts for my larger clouds and 2 hearts for my smaller cloud.


Cut the hearts out.


Pin the 2 sides of your cloud together and sew about a 1/4" in. Make sure you leave an opening large enough to flip it right side out.


Flip your cloud right side out and use scissors (or chopstick, etc) to push out all the edges.


Stuff your cloud with fiber fill. You'll want it fluffy but not so fluffy that you can't sew the opening closed.


To close up the cloud, fold the edges in a bit and do a simple whip stitch to sew it closed. (If you're wondering what the heck a whip stitch is, click here.)


You're all finished with the cloud now and ready to start the hearts. Pin the sides of your hearts together and stitch about 1/8" in. Again, be sure to leave an opening large enough to turn them right side out.


Flip your hearts right side out. At this point, I turned the open edges in and ironed the hearts. Stuff with fiberfill.


Using the same whip stitch, stitch your hearts closed. My hearts look a little wonky but I think it adds to the charm.


Now take a length of your monofilament and thread it through a needle. Tie a knot at the end and sew through the top center of your heart.


Now take the needle and sew through the cloud where you want your heart to hang. Knot it. Do this for all of your hearts.


The last step is to thread a long length of the monofilament through the top center of your cloud so you'll have something to hang it with. And that's it. Done. 


Let me know if you get stuck! finleyandoliver@gmail.com

11 comments:

Laura said...

You are so.flippin'.awesome, friend! LOVE this tutorial and I adore your clouds! Thank you so much again!! xoxo

Shanna-Kaye Fancher said...

LOVE this!! So adorable!! :)
I can't wait to make one...my son's birthday is going to be Dr. Suess and this would look so cute. Curious-where did you get the tall Suess-y looking things? (pink and green) I love those!

J Liz said...

i want these following me around everywhere i go. that is all. ;) love.

Oh Fiddlesticks! said...

So fun! LOVE the look of the party, too!
Mwah!
M

SoSoBella said...

oh how i love this.

Grace said...

Thanks for the puffy cloud love, everyone!

@Shanna-Kaye, I've sent a message to Laura about those sticks. I'll let you know what I find out. :)

Laura said...

@Shanna-Kaye--I got the flowers from Hobby Lobby--they have them in lots of colors! xoxo

meg said...

That's really cute. I made my friend a similar one for her new baby... http://growingkiwis.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/i-thought-i-should-post-photo-of-how-my.html

Grace said...

@Meg, your cloud mobile is awesome!! Love, love, love the little face that you embroidered. Very clever.

Unknown said...

I'm in love with this cloud!!! I showed it on my facebook fanpage - of course with a link to this post! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marysza/207642165917125

Unknown said...

Beautiful...good week for you...kiss

Francine

Post a Comment